New Solution Helps Communications Service Providers Transition to Virtualized Networks
With the growth of digital lifestyle services, communications service providers (CSPs) need agile and flexible networks to shorten their service development lifecycle and differentiate themselves from their competitors. Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) enables CSPs to accelerate the convergence of their IT and network domains and bring new services and applications to the marketplace more quickly. Oracle Communications Application Orchestrator supports CSPs in their migration to NFV, enabling them to move away from rigid network architectures designed for a few select services to a flexible platform that can be automatically reconfigured to support current and future services.
- Oracle today announced the release of Oracle Communications Application Orchestrator, which manages the lifecycle of a virtual network function—a software component that can be deployed on a virtualized infrastructure—to help launch next-generation network services significantly faster by virtually eliminating the need to secure and deploy new network hardware for each service.
- NFV is considered the next generation of network architecture, with the potential to significantly reduce telecommunications network complexity by replacing incompatible network appliances with standardized software that is easier to configure, upgrade, and operate.
- Oracle Communications Application Orchestrator reduces deployment time considerably for new network functions, enabling CSPs to improve operational efficiency and service agility.
- The new solution is also designed to work with Oracle Communications Core Session Manager, a solution that helps CSPs virtualize network infrastructures to support NFV efforts.
- Oracle Communications Application Orchestrator supports NFV architecture standards from the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI), the main standards body guiding NFV development. The new solution helps CSPs:
- Manage the complete lifecycle of a virtual network function, enabling them to more easily orchestrate the complex network environments required by emerging services
- Respond to changes in network capacity requirements by monitoring key performance indicators (KPIs), such as subscriber connection requests, and automatically deploying virtual network functions to meet network capacity demand
- In addition, Oracle Communications Application Orchestrator can integrate with multiple virtualization infrastructure managers to support a flexible, multi-cloud environment and help avoid vendor lock-in.
- Oracle Communications Application Orchestrator is designed to fulfill the role of virtual network function manager in the ETSI architecture.
- “Replacing hardware networking elements with standalone, virtualized network functions instances is not enough for CSPs to unlock network virtualization service agility benefits. They also need interoperable, standardized application programming interfaces (APIs) between virtualized network functions, virtualized network functions managers, virtualized infrastructure managers, orchestrators, policy controllers, and OSS service orchestration. Oracle Communications Application Orchestrator provides an essential piece in ETSI’s NFV architecture that will facilitate CSPs’ transition to virtualized next-generation networks,” said Glen Ragoonanan, principal analyst, Analysys Mason.
- “As smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices explode in popularity, communications service providers are experiencing increasing pressure to deliver compelling data services while competing with over-the-top providers to remain relevant. Oracle Communications Application Orchestrator enables CSPs to move away from rigid network architectures to a flexible platform that can be easily reconfigured to address any number of current or future services,” said Bhaskar Gorti, senior vice president and general manager, Oracle Communications.
- Oracle Communications
- Oracle Communications Application Orchestrator
- Oracle Communications Application Orchestrator Data Sheet
- Oracle Communications Core Session Manager
- Connect with Oracle Communications on Diigo, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and YouTube