IRVINE, Calif., September 4, 2012 ― Toshiba America Information Systems Inc., Telecommunication Systems Division (Toshiba) — www.telecom.toshiba.com, has helped the City of White Salmon connect its community, employees and five-site network with Toshiba’s Strata CIX IP business telephone systems. Located 65 miles from Portland, Ore., the City of White Salmon is on the edge of the Columbia River Gorge, home to some of the world’s best windsurfing and kiteboarding. The City of White Salmon takes its name from the nearby White Salmon River, which was named by the Lewis and Clark Expedition after observing the river teeming with salmon whose color turned white after spawning.
Leana Johnson, IT manager and clerk/treasurer for the City, identified the need for a business telephone system that would meet the City’s communication objectives, including:
- Have one business telephone system for all city departments in five different locations, including city hall, police department, public works, fire department, and the public pool;
- Centralize telephony applications, including voice mail and auto attendant and allow for call transfers and direct extension dialing between all locations;
- Securely network all locations together via wireless point-to-point links, including full encryption;
- Provide an affordable and reliable telephone solution; and
- Allow a mix of IP, digital and analog endpoints.
Authorized Toshiba Dealer NW Communication Systems Inc. of Bingen, Wash., installed and provides service and support for the City’s system. Raymond Paskey, sales manager of NW Communication Systems, recommended Toshiba’s Strata CIX system as the City had successfully been using Toshiba business telephone products for decades. NW Communication Systems has been an Authorized Toshiba Dealer since 2006.
Solution: Toshiba’s Strata CIX Mixes IP, Digital and Analog to Meet the City’s Communication Needs
Installed by NW Communication Systems Inc., the City’s Toshiba business telephone system consists of:
- One Strata CIX100 business telephone system at City Hall;
- Endpoints at four other locations to support the police department, public works, the fire department, and the public pool;
- Networking between locations via 30Mb fully encrypted wireless point-to-point links;
- A total of 27 ports at all locations with a mix of IP, digital, and analog (cordless) endpoints;
- Centralized voice mail and auto attendant; and
- Unified messaging for select users, which allows them to receive their voice mail via email.
Result #1: Centralized System Reduces Costs, Improves Communication
Toshiba met the City’s requirement for a centralized system with shared voice mail across all locations. Today, calls route through the receptionist or directly to each department, thus ensuring that calls are answered and routed to the right person. Callers can easily leave messages in the individual’s voice mailbox. With unified messaging, users can access their voice mail right from their email inboxes.
Result #2: Remote Users Can Take Their IP Phones With Them
Using Toshiba’s IP telephones, the City’s remote workers can literally take their phones with them wherever they go. Whenever there is an office reconfiguration, the IP phone goes with the worker, eliminating the need for costly service calls. As well, the system’s “Find-me, Follow-me” service is helpful to the volunteer fire chief who uses it to send incoming calls directly to his cell phone.
Result #3: Heavy Duty Cordless Phone Ensures Connection for Public Pool
Using a heavy-duty cordless telephone at the public pool helps ensure that there’s always a connection. The City used to have to set up a temporary telephone line for the months that the pool was open. Now, they can use the cordless telephone anytime.
Bottom Line: Centralized Toshiba Business Telephone System Saves Costs and Improves Communication
Toshiba’s Strata CIX telephone systems have met the City of White Salmon’s communications objectives, including:
- Centralized telephone system across all locations;
- Networking of all locations via wireless point-to-point links;
- Reduced service costs of $3,600 per year by consolidating 22 telephone lines into one 12-channel PRI;
- Reduced costs with blended IP and digital telephone system;
- Improved communication between City staff and the public;
- Increased privacy for confidential calls with individual voice mailboxes;
- Reliable and durable telephone system; and
- The ability to grow and migrate to new communication technologies in the future.
“Together, Toshiba and NW Communication Systems delivered on our key objectives of centralized applications, wireless connections between locations, and overall reduced costs. With Toshiba and NW Communication Systems, we have a winning combination,” said Leana Johnson, IT manager & clerk/treasurer, City of White Salmon.
For an Authorized Toshiba Dealer, visit: www.telecom.toshiba.com