A couple of updates to start the new year.
1. On the HP Front– A news report has alleged that Hewlett-Packard will start restricting who is allowed to fix its ProLiant servers starting in the new year. Click on the following link. HP clampdown on ‘unauthorized’ server fixing to start in January The ASCDI has reached out to HP to discuss this matter and will get back to you as soon as we know something.
2. On the US Legislative Branch Front- We are working with Congress to ensure that hardware sold with software (embedded or not) is treated the same way hardware itself is, meaning that it is legal to resell. We are also working with them to ensure that it is legal to take the part from one machine to another without restriction.
3. On the US Executive Branch Front- We are discussing with US Customs a program which, if adopted, would help to ensure that products we import are not unreasonably held up in customs.
4. On the EU Front– We continue to work on the right to import products into the EU without restriction. We have identified some strong allies in the battle and are anticipating face to face meetings with EU Regulators on the issue.
3. On the Meeting Front- The ASCDI has been monitoring the continuing deteriorating civil unrest in Bangkok. We are concerned about the safety of our delegates as well as the issues which might arise out of transportation shutdowns in the city next week. We don’t want anyone to get “stranded” in Bangkok for an extended period of time. It is for those reasons that we have made the unprecedented decision to cancel our meeting next week in Bangkok. We will be rescheduling the ASCDI Asia meeting and will get back to you with that information
And……. Hurry up and book one or both of the following:
2014 USA SPRING CONFERENCE
March 5 – 7, 2014
PUERTO RICO, USA
2014 EUROPEAN CONFERENCE
June 4 – 6, 2014