Five-inch handheld tablets with voice and data connectivity withstand 10-foot drops and are submersible, meeting the most demanding enterprise requirements
NEWARK, NJ, June 23, 2014 – Panasonic, an industry leader in reliable and innovative mobile computers since 1996, today announced the U.S. launch of its fully-rugged, 5-inch handheld tablets. The Toughpad® FZ-E1, powered by Windows Embedded 8.1 Handheld, and the Toughpad FZ-X1, running the Android™ 4.2.2 operating system, are enterprise-class handheld tablets — with voice and data connectivity — designed for mission-critical mobile workers. With 14-hour hot-swappable batteries, FIPS 140-2 Level 1 security, and sunlight-readable HD touchscreens that work even with gloves, the Toughpad FZ-E1 and Toughpad FZ-X1 are purpose-built to improve efficiency and productivity for mobile professionals such as first responders, military servicemembers and those in transportation and logistics, utilities, manufacturing, retail and field services.
The Toughpad FZ-E1 and Toughpad FZ-X1 represent a significant expansion of Panasonic’s Toughpad line, the world’s most comprehensive portfolio of enterprise-focused tablets. Like Panasonic’s market-leading Toughbook® laptops and convertibles, Toughpad tablets are engineered to deliver performance, security and reliability in extreme operating environments where consumer devices would fail. They are also built for easy integration into existing IT infrastructures and for smooth deployments and ongoing support, and provide organizations with longer life cycles, translating to lower total costs of ownership.
“An always-connected workforce is only as strong as its weakest link, and this is true whether on the shop floor or the battlefield,” said Rance Poehler, President, Panasonic System Communications Company of North America. “Our Toughpad FZ-E1 and Toughpad FZ-X1 build on the legacy of nearly two decades of rugged devices from Panasonic to accomplish the mission of keeping professionals in the most demanding work environments connected to the data they need to do their jobs, to one another and to the customers they are supporting.”
With the broadest range of configuration options available in their class, industry-leading reliability and enterprise-grade feature sets, the Toughpad FZ-E1 and Toughpad FZ-X1 are ideal tools for a host of usage scenarios, including delivery and routing, inspections, inventory management, field service and sales, work order management, public safety evidence collection and facility management. Both the Toughpad FZ-E1 and the Toughpad FZ-X1 are supported by an ecosystem of accessories — such as holsters, vehicle mounts and chargers — and best-of-breed vertical market specific application solutions from leading vendors.
Fully Rugged, Secure and Enterprise-Ready
With resistance to drops of up to 10 feet to concrete, the Toughpad FZ-E1 and Toughpad FZ-X1 go beyond MIL-STD-810G specifications to assure in-field reliability. Both devices are fully sealed against dust and are submersible in up to 5 feet of water for up to 30 minutes, meeting IP65 and IP68 certification requirements. The devices carry an operating temperature range of -4° F to 140°F thanks to a built-in heater, and are also tested for resistance to impact, shock, vibration, altitude and extreme humidity.
Both the Toughpad FZ-E1 and Toughpad FZ-X1 are FIPS 140-2 Level 1 compliant, with OS-based enhanced security features to meet the needs of government and enterprise customers.
The devices’ numerous unique enterprise-grade features include a sunlight-readable, anti-reflective HD (1280×720) 10-point capacitive multitouchscreen that works even with heavy gloves, with a rain-sensing feature that allows for single touch use even in pouring rain. In addition to 8.0MP (rear) and 1.3MP (front) cameras, configuration options such as an integrated 1D/2D barcode reader and attachable magnetic stripe reader allow enterprises to customize the ideal tool for their workforces.
Voice and Data Connectivity
The Toughpad FZ-E1 and Toughpad FZ-X1 are the first devices in the Toughpad® line to offer optional voice connectivity. Both models will be available with dual SIM slots and certified on leading mobile carrier networks, 4G LTE/3G/GPRS/CDMA2000 mobile broadband for voice and data. Push-to-talk service also will be available on specific networks and depending on service contracts. Standard on both models is Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, near field communications (NFC), standalone GPS and Bluetooth® v4.0 (Class 1).
Clear Voice Communications
To ensure clear voice communication above engine or construction noise, the devices are equipped with intelligent noise cancelling and dual front speakers reaching an astounding maximum volume of 100 decibels — about as loud as the average home stereo system.
Industry-Leading 14-Hour* Battery Life
A major requirement for enterprise mobile solutions is strong full-shift battery performance. With a 6200mAh battery providing up to 14 hours of continuous use based on Panasonic test conditions, the Toughpad FZ-E1 and Toughpad FZ-X1 are purpose-built to enable workforce productivity. A quick-charging feature allows for a 50% charge in just 1 hour and Hot Swap functionality allows a depleted battery to be swapped out for a fresh one without powering down the device, providing for virtually unlimited use.
Toughpad® FZ-E1 and Toughpad® FZ-X1: Key Features
- Operating System:
- Toughpad FZ-E1: Windows Embedded 8.1 Handheld
- Toughpad FZ-X1: Android 4.2.2
- Toughpad FZ-E1: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 800 series 2.3GHz Quad Core
- Toughpad FZ-X1: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 600 series 1.7GHz Quad Core
- Rugged Durability: MIL-STD-810G certified; tested for 10-foot drops to concrete; IP65 and IP68 certified fully sealed design (sealed against dust and submersible in water), operating temperature range of -4° F to 140°F
- Handheld Portability: 15 oz., 1.2” thin (standard configuration)
- Industry-Leading Battery Life: Up to 14 hours of continuous use depending on usage conditions. Hot Swap functionality allows the main battery to be swapped without powering down
- Enterprise-Grade Display: 5-inch sunlight-readable, anti-reflective HD (1280×720) LCD with high-sensitivity 10-point capacitive multitouch input. Glove-touch and rain-sensing features are included
- Storage and Memory: 32 GB flash memory with 2GB RAM; and micro SDXC card slot
- Connectivity & I/O: optional 4G LTE/3G/GPRS/CDMA2000 (voice and data); standard Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, near field communications (NFC), standalone GPS, Bluetooth® v4.0 (Class 1), USB 2.0; optional integrated 1D/2D barcode reader; optional attachable magnetic stripe card reader; expansion area for peripheral connectivity
- Camera: 8MP rear camera with auto focus and LED light; 1.3MP front camera
- Security: FIPS 140-2 Level 1 compliant
- Warranty: The Toughpad FZ-E1 and Toughpad FZ-X1 are backed by the industry’s most comprehensive 3-year warranty and U.S.-based customer support
For a full list of specifications and more detailed information, visit http://www.Toughpad.com.
Pricing and Availability
The Toughpad FZ-X1 with WiFi or mobile broadband data connectivity will be the first to hit the market in August 2014 at a list price of $1,799 (WiFi-only) or $1,849 (mobile broadband data). The Toughpad FZ-E1 with WiFi-only connectivity will also be available in August 2014 at a list price of $1,899, followed by the telephony and mobile broadband-enabled version with a target date of October 2014 at a list price of $1,999. The Toughpad FZ-X1 enabled for telephony and mobile broadband data will have a target date of January 2015 at a list price of $1,899. All Toughpad devices can be purchased through authorized Panasonic resellers.
Sales inquiries for Panasonic’s Toughpad family of tablets should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 877-803-8492.
Follow the Toughpad® Brand (#Toughpad):
* Battery life measurement conditions: Wireless LAN connection enabled; continuous access to the server while browsing; swipe every 1 second; page change every 30 seconds, communication every 30 seconds.